Me alone in the classroom, 2017
Doing really well on your school assessment tests, but still having the school recommend that you go to preparatory vocational school. Going to a club with friends and having the bouncer keep you out. Having to endure jokes from classmates. These are examples of the sort of casual racism that the children of director Karin Junger and their friends have to face.
In Ik alleen in de klas, director Karin Junger, white mother of three darker-skinned children, stands with her family to confront the racism they experience in their daily lives. Twelve adolescents meet at a mansion in France. The group consists of Junger’s children and their friends. All of them come from ethnic minority backgrounds and share a feeling of being excluded from Dutch society. Re-enactment is used to explore painful situations again. In this simple but effective documentary, we can see the impact of subtle and less subtle forms of racism on the lives of young Dutch people.
- 74 min.
- Spoken language: Dutch
- Subtitles: English
- De Familie
- +31 20 663 33 03
- Movies That Matter 2017
- Dutch Film Festivakl 2017
- Da Bounse Urban Film Festival 2017.
- China Women’s Film Festival 2017
- ALBA’s Human Rights Documentary Film Festival 2017
- Festival International de Cinéma de Nador 2018
Song ‘Keep walking’
Together with rapper Winne talented singer songwriter Sabrina Starke created the song ‘keep walking’ for the movie.
- Howard Komproe (standup comedian: “very poignant movie, must see!”
- Sabrina Starke (singer-songwriter): “This docu touched me. I think it’s brave that these youngsters share their story so openly. It will help to create awareness. And it’s a clear message that society needs to change.”